Food and Fibre Education SA - Building and Programming Smart Irrigation Systems
Teachers are invited to a one day professional development workshop – Building and programming smart irrigation systems: an introduction to physical computing using an agricultural context.
Modern Australian agriculture is underpinned by precision farming, innovation and technology. Food production has seen the increase in dependence on remote sensing, digital modelling, and coding to maximise yields and improve farming practices.
In Australia’s harsh climate, farmers are driven to produce food crops in the most sustainable manner – this means producing high quality food utilising every millilitre of rain in an efficient manner.
Many farms now use soil moisture probes to collect information on plant available water. The data generated helps make informed decisions on nutrient input and plant management.
Teachers can model simple farming systems and teach how coding and physical computing can be used to take measurements, communicate between devices, and solve problems, such as in designing and automating a watering system.
ABOUT THE DAY:
In this hands-on workshop, you will be introduced to
- the fundamentals of coding – design and modify algorithms to gather input and effect outputs
- computational and design thinking – the creative problem solving strategies used to implement digital solutions
- using physical computing systems – making simple digital systems with micro controllers, sensors, and outputs through designing, building and programming a simple remote sensing automatic watering system.
We will explore how digital systems can be used to take measurements from the environment, and that data used in Science investigations in hands-on, engaging ways, linked to soil and agricultural science.
>>This workshop is aligned to the Australian Curriculum (Digital Technologies, Science) – Click here to download details
WHO: Year 7-10 teachers responsible for delivering the digital technologies components of the national curriculum
COST: $214.50 inc. GST
DATE: Tuesday 11 December, 2018
TIME: 9:30am – 4:00pm
- The University of Adelaide Waite Campus, Charles Hawker Conference Centre, Waite Road (131 Computer Suite)
- Map can be viewed at: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/campuses/mapscurrent/waite.pdf
Limited to the first 25 registrations. Maximum of two registrations per school unless arranged with organisers prior, please register each attendee individually
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Tina Brock, AgCommunicators
08 8332 3277
Location and Time
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
The University of Adelaide Waite Campus, Charles Hawker Conference Centre, (131 Computer Suite)
Bookings are closed for this event.