"More than Gumboots and Tractors" Careers in the Australian Grains Industry - Toowoomba Qld
The Grains Research and Development Corporation is pleased to invite teachers and career guidance officers to a professional development workshop which will explore the careers available in Queensland’s grains and wider agricultural industry.
This free full-day event, including industry networking hour, will take you on a tour though research centres and industry sites to see plant breeding, cereal chemistry, ag technology and a range of other grains careers in action. University and training providers will present on study pathways, prerequisites and study opportunities. They will also share tips for guiding students on an exciting agricultural careers pathway.
ABOUT THE DAY…
The event will be held on Thursday, June 2, 2016.
It is a full day from 9:00am to 6:00pm, commencing at University of Southern Queensland and involves:
- tours of grains industry and research facilities.
- speakers from various sectors on the grains industry including science, research technology and education.
- industry networking hour with nibbles and presentation of participation certificates and gift.
Click here to download the Teacher Invitation Flyer
- 8:45 Arrive and register at University of Southern Queensland, collect information pack
- 9:00 Welcome and career snapshots
- 9:45 USQ tour of labs and research facilities
- 11:00 Career and trade pathway experiences: Plant breeding, research and communications, trade opportunities
- 12:45 Site tour of PB Agrifood: Value adding grains, legumes and pulses
- 2:00 Site tour of Advanta Seeds: Seeds for grain production
- 3:15 Site tour of Leslie Research Facility: Microbiology lab and glasshouse tour
- 5:00 Back to USQ for industry networking hour wrap up, networking, presentation of certificates of attendance and gift
Click here to view the comprehensive program.
This event is free for teachers of science, nutrition, biology, chemistry, geography and agriculture, school based career guidance officers and VET coordinators. All meals, tour travel and a comprehensive show bag with education and careers resources will be provided.
Enclosed sturdy shoes, long pants and long sleeved shirt.
- Create links with industry organisations for teaching inspiration and student work experience
- Discover learning pathways in food science and grains careers
- Receive a certificate of attendance and information pack
THIS EVENT IS FOR
- Teachers of science, nutrition, biology, chemistry, geography and agriculture
- School based career guidance officers and VET coordinators.
By Monday, May 30, 2016
Places are limited to 25 participants, seats still available, register today to secure your seat.
Contact Deb Baum
E firstname.lastname@example.org | P 0448 840 232
Location and Time
University of Southern Queensland
521-535 West St
Where to find us
Bookings are closed for this event.