"More than Gumboots and Tractors" Careers in the Australian Grains Industry - Launceston TAS
The Grains Research and Development Corporation is pleased to invite teachers and career guidance officers to a professional development workshop which will explore the careers available in Tasmania’s grains and wider agricultural industry.
This free full-day event, including industry networking dinner, will take you on a tour though research centres and industry sites to see plant breeding, cereal chemistry, ag technology and a range of other grains careers in action. University and training providers will present on study pathways, prerequisites and study opportunities. They will also share tips for guiding students on an exciting agricultural careers pathway.
ABOUT THE DAY…
The event will be held on Thursday, June 23, 2016.
It is a full day from 8:45am to 9:00pm, commencing at Mt Pleasant Research Laboratories, Kings Meadows and involves:
- tours of grains industry and research facilities
- speakers from various sectors on the grains industry including science, research technology and education
- industry networking Educational Eating Hour and presentation of participation certificates and gift
Please note: the recently advertised dinner has been changed to a networking hour which will conclude at 7 pm.
Click here to download the Teacher Invitation Flyer
- 8:45 Arrive and register at Mt Pleasant Research Laboratories, collect information pack
- 9:00 Welcome and career snapshots
- 9:30 Career and trade pathway experiences: TAFE, UTAS, School of Land and Food
- 10:00 Tour of outdoor plant nursery and glasshouse facilities
- 11:30 Site tour and lunch at Cressy Research and Demonstration Station
- 1:45 Site tour Southern Farming System Trials
- 3:00 Site tour of Powranna Grain Storage Systems
- 4:30 Back to Launceston for tour and industry networking hour at James Boag’s Brewery
- 7:00 Workshop and full days program concluded.
Click here to view the comprehensive program.
This event is free for teachers of science, nutrition, biology, chemistry, geography and agriculture, school based career advisors and VET coordinators. All meals, tour travel and a comprehensive show bag with education and careers resources will be provided.
Enclosed sturdy footwear, long pants and long sleeved shirts.
- Create links with industry organisations for teaching inspiration and student work experience
- Discover learning pathways in food science and grains careers
- Receive a certificate of attendance and information pack
THIS EVENT IS FOR:
- Teachers of science, nutrition, biology, chemistry, geography and agriculture
- School based career advisors and VET coordinators.
Places still available, call asap to be registered.
Places are limited to 25 participants, register today to secure your seat
Contact Deb Baum
E firstname.lastname@example.org | P 0448 840 232
Location and Time
Mt Pleasant Research Laboratories, Kings Meadows
165 Westbury Road
Bookings are closed for this event.